Last year when COVID restrictions prevented choirs from gathering together, one I belong to persevered practising via Zoom. When we “knew” a particular piece, we each individually recorded ourselves singing our parts on one device (as best we could whilst listening to a backing track through headphones attached to a separate device) and sent our recorded contributions to our musical director. Then they were mixed together to create a finished product. One piece that was handled in that way was God the Sculptor of the Mountains.
Now, in COVID lockdown, the choir is back to Zoom practices again which means a forthcoming service celebrating creation during a Sustainability Festival will almost certainly have to be via Zoom. The organisers wanted to have the choir involved singing an appropriate piece. So that resulted in my being asked to convert the God the Sculptor recording into a video using some of my photographs for the visuals.
I chose images to reflect one word from each line of the song – 23 in all. Here are five of the images and the lines from the song that they illustrate.
I used an image taken at Interlaken in 2006 to illustrate a mountain:
God the sculptor of the mountains
Then it was an image of a stepson playing the role of Pharaoh in a stage musical.
God the nuisance to the Pharaoh
An image from the Barossa Valley in 2009 illustrated a vineyard.
God the dresser of the vineyard
Then one from Delhi in 2008.
we are hungry; feed us now
And a touch of fun with an image taken in Boorowa in July this year.
God the table turning prophet
Then I set about making the video using Microsoft’s Video Editor software. I needed to create some title slides for the beginning of the video, identifying the song by title, crediting the author of the words and music, crediting the musical director of the choir and crediting my own photography. I was able to use one of the 23 images as background in some of those title slides and found suitable images of the church, the musical director and myself to use in others.
After sharing my “finished” product with the musical director and the liturgist putting the service together, I took up a couple of suggestions and revised the video (using the somewhat more sophisticated Movie Maker Video Editor, also by Microsoft) adding fades between most slides plus one additional image at the very end as the music ended.
This was an interesting experience. I learned a lot and I expect this will not be the last video I create.